Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ya Learn Something New Every Day


For example, last week I learned that infamous duelist Aaron Burr was the grandson of Jonathan "sinners in the hands of an angry God" Edwards.  Monday I learned that Gen. Eric Shinseki, Barack Obama's pick for Sec. of Veteras Affairs was one of only 8 Vietnam combat amputees who returned to active duty.

And yesterday, I learned how to do the tubular cast-on.  And oh it made me so happy.  I even put off fixing myself the evening cocktail until almost 7pm so I would be stone-cold sober while working on it (recommended). 

I feel like it was a reward of sorts, learning something new.  For the last week or so, my next-door neighbor has gotten interested in learning to knit and I've been helping her out.  It's been really fun and it reminded me of the time when I was picking up a new skill every time I cast on for a new project--knitting in the round, cables, colorwork-- whole new worlds open up.  

But then the learning curve inevitably flattens out.  I am not a master knitter by any standard, but I am comfortable with the basic and intermediate skills.  So, when I come across something I missed, it's so fun.

I cast on for Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts.  I'm using Lorna's Laces sportweight in blackberry and sunshine.  After a tour of the blogosphere, I decided to learn a regular tubular cast-on rather than the Italian one she recommends.  I tried the Italian version initially, but I could quickly see that I would run into many of the problems others had reported--it's hard for mere mortals to get an even edge.   It's gorgeous.  I love it.  No one will ever know because it will be tucked into my coat, but I know.  And it was fun.

Here is the tutorial I used. 

No comments: